From: Simon Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 12:16 PM
Subject: RE: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

> Rick was not assuming, he was asserting, that the ASIC contains a DSP core
> to execute the ATRAC algorithm. And I further assert (and I know because I
> have done it) that an FFT is performed on a DSP in a similar (but not
> identical) way to how it would be done on a Pentiuk. DSPs have special
> custom instructions to multiply and add in one operation, parallel
> instructions, zero overhead branching and RAM running at the CPU clock,
> which make them faster than general purpose CPUs at the same clock rate,
but
> all these together don't amount to more than 5 times faster. My totally
> unsubstantiated guess is the R55's clock will be ~45 MHz (based on reading
> number off a chip on an MZR35's circuit board).

Ok, but my P3 has RAM running at 100MHz (soon to be 133MHz) - but for some
operations I would expect the internal cache to be used which would
obviously be much much faster. Even if we assume it *is* 5x faster using a
dedicated DSP than the Pentium-based CPU, that is still only (based on your
assumption of a 45MHz clock) a 225MHz pentium - well below standard for
desktop system by todays standards. If you take into account some of the new
MMX instructions plus various other enhancements being made to processors
then I can't see why it would be a problem.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]