From: Stainless Steel Rat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MD-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2000 1:16 AM
Subject: Re: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

> I would guestimate that the average desktop PC these days is comparable to
> my 400MHz Pentium II at work (this was a top of the line sytem a year
ago).
> It cannot encode MP3 at 192Kbps or higher in real time.

Strange that - the Xing MP3 encoder managed to encode the whole of Elgar
Cello Concert (around 40 minutes of audio) in just under 5 minutes at
160kbps. I'm using a P3 450MHz - 64Mb RAM.

>  Therefore it is
> reasonably safe for me to say that the average desktop machine cannot
> manage ATRAC, which requires more computing power than MP3 at "near CD
> quality" bitrates, in real time, either.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that ATRAC encoding would require more
CPU power tham MP3 - surely this would depend on how the algo. was
implemented in the software! Speed does not always relate directly to the
quality of the encoding either - one MP3 encoder I had (I forget it's name)
took 12 mins to encode a 5min tune and the result was audibly worse than
Xing at the same bitrate which managed it in 15 seconds.

I don't think you can assume the average desktop machine couldn't do it - it
would be down to how well the software implementation of ATRAC was written,
and that will depend on how good the programmer is.

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]