I just received my new R900 today. Yippee!

Now for some quick thoughts on it.

At 9/18/00 3:21 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] increased the world's knowledge by
typing:

>I think the blue looks nice.  A little more green in it than the blue on the
>R-50.  Slightly irridescent.

Definitely. I would call it a slightly green turquoise color more than a
true blue.

>The controls work well.  Ergonomics are fine.

Yep. Definitely better than my C80. Every button is easy to push, but not
so easy that you'll push them accidentally. I have large hands with
fingers than are relatively slim. The small buttons on the C80 are just
about impossible for me to push, let alone someone with thicker fingers.
The R900's buttons are easy enough for me to push that I imagine someone
with thick fingers won't have much trouble. They're also well spaced.

I did get a little confused about how to stop the thing since the
stop/charge button isn't well labeled as stop.

>The level meter is horizontal and only goes halfway across the display, so
>it is difficult to tell where the peak level is until you get a reference
>point. There are no calibration marks for this, so that is not great, but
>it corresponds with the far right hand edge of the "rec mode" button.

I've noticed that the last segment is right under the "rec" indicator
with the second to last segment being right under the "sync" indicator.

I do have a few minor complaints so far. First of all, I hate that I have
to have "Synch" turned off to set the digital recording level. Although,
now that I think about it, this may not be such a big deal because if
synch is on then the unit automatically records as the CD is playing,
which isn't exactly my goal when setting the recording level.

I'm also disappointed that you can't set the recording level while
recording. This isn't such a big deal when recording from another
pre-recorded source. But it is a big deal when recording live.

At this point it looks like it may just replace the R50 as my favorite
portable. And I easily prefer it over the C80. But only time will tell
for sure.  :-)

And of course, the first thing I did to it was to set End Search to
automatic! ;-)