From: "David W. Tamkin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> | Is there an LP2 mono
> | available on it or any Sony deck (940?), and given that LP4 relies
> | on joint-stereo encoding- LP4 mono is not possible?
>
> It seems that the bit that distinguishes stereo from mono in SP mode is used
> to distinguish LP2 from LP4.  The evidence is that a non-LP machien will play
> an LP2 track silently for half its duration with the MONO indicator off,
> while an LP4 track will play silently on a non-LP machine for half (not one-
> fourth) of its duration with the MONO indicator on.  If that's the case,
> they've pretty much locked out any chance to implement LP2 mono.

Thanks for that David, I suppose it sort of makes sense-- LP4 stereo is
afaik like a mono LP2 encoding + channel differences (the "joint-stereo"
mentioned in MDCP, and which MP3 also supports).  I wonder if a mono
signal encoded in LP4, given there are no channel differences in digital
or only very slight analog differences, be almost as good as an "LP2 mono"
anyway as there are none or very few channel differences to encode?

I only wish they'd implemented an LP8 mode for dictation, lectures, or
(my wish) audio books, still LP4 five hours on a "standard" disc will keep
me happy provided it is at least as good as a decent 64kbps MP3.  Maybe
the day my faithful MZ-R3 is put into semi-retirement finally nears :-)

PrinceGaz -- "In perfect love and perfect trust..."