Dan Frakes wrote:

> Steve: the issues with the ER-4S needing an amp isn't whether or not they'll
> play *loud* enough; rather, it's whether or not they'll play *well* enough
> ;)  The ER4S are simply designed to be used with a powerful headphone amp.
> If you were to buy a good amp and then use your 4S, you would immediately
> see what I'm talking about -- as good as you think they sound now, it's
> nothing compared to what a good amp will do for them.

I certainly SEE what you're talking about with respect to a good
headphone amp ;)

Of course, you're right, and I DO have a headphone amp for them.  I was
replying in the context of better earphones for minidisc, which I think
the ER-4Ss are, even without a headphone amp.  What with the external
sound isolation among other things.  --And I could've sworn some people
said they didn't go loud enough.  Anyway, IMO, 'tis better to get the
highest quality (ER-4S) that can be used with or without an extra amp,
so that when you are able to use an amp, it's all that much better.

Regardless, I should have mentioned the amp, thanks for pointing that
out.

-steve