On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:43:04 +0200
Kai Tietz <ktiet...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> I believe everyone will concur.
> >>
> >> ...SNIP...
> >>
> >> In any case we now have the question: what would be official or even
> >> advised?
> >
> > This is not a technical issue. It's primarily a mingw-w64 project
> > leadership and
> > simplification challenge.
> >
> > It's not helpful that neither Kai nor JonY has definitively weighed in on
> > whether
> > an official mingw-w64 default toolchain makes sense. Actually, that's not
> > true.
> > Awhile back Kai was very involved with announcing Ruben as the new build
> > release
> > mgr. I interpreted Kai's actions to mean that he felt mingw-w64 needed a
> > maintained,
> > official, easy-to-use default toolchain in addition to the automated
> > testing builds.
>
> Well, I assumed I was clear about that already.  IMO it is absolutely
> necessary that we (mingw-w64) are providing an official
> toolchain-version, which we are recommenting.
> To be clear here, those toolchain-releases aren't mingw-w64 releases.
> The mingw-w64 releaes are just releases of our repository, not that of
> combinations with other ventures.
> And exactly this might be confusing here for some people.  A pre-build
> toolchain release is always just "one" variant of a combination using
> our stuff with other ventures.  That makes such releases so hard to be
> marked as "recommented".
> Nevertheless I agree completely that we have to provide such pre-build
> toolchains, so that users have an easier access to our work.
>

> > But "interpreting" or "implying" or "inferring" is not useful. Explicit
> > clarification
> > from Kai and JonY as mingw-w64 leaders is needed. I suspect one reason why
> > this hasn't
> > happened is that both already have too much on their plate and don't want
> > to set the
> > expectation that either will be responsible for implementing and
> > maintaining an official
> > toolchain like JonY appears (aweome) to be doing at
> > http://cygwin.mirrors.pair.com/release/gcc4/
> > The old speak-up-and-get-stuck-with-it paradox ;)
> >
> > That's OK, and is why I believe the first step needs to be Kai/JonY saying
> > (a) "The
> > mingw-w64 project needs an official, easy-to-use toolchain", (b) "Neither
> > of us
> > have the bandwidth to implement/maintain it", and (c) "We're actively
> > looking for
> > a new committer to take on this role. If this is going to happen and be
> > sustainable,
> > we need your help."
>
> a) yes, b) yes (we need people in charge for that and doing this
> reliable), c) yes, we are actual in discussion with mingw-builds
> venture to go together (and/or co-operate more closely).
>
> > Or say "The current situation is fine; mingw-w64 doesn't need an official
> [...]

Fantastic. These days I don't get to contribute to OSS as much as I'd like, but
if it would be
useful, I'll carve out time to test/provide feedback on any toolchain build
tool you and the
mingw-builds team come up with.

I'm fixated by easy-to-use port-like build automation tools that do the typical
cycle of

  download -> verify -> patch -> configure -> build -> stage -> package

and am continuously toying with one of my own little monsters for building
common libs
with mingw-w64:

  https://github.com/jonforums/buildlets

So, I'm curious on what you guys are building and would like to help, even if
it's just easy-of-use
testing of the build tool.

Jon

---
Fail fast. Fail often. Fail publicly. Learn. Adapt. Repeat.
http://jonforums.github.io/ | http://thecodeshop.github.io/
twitter: @jonforums