I completely agree. Even while we in the qt-project ultimately went for
mingw-builds, the personal builds by rubenv has always been my test whether a
problem was in the mingw-builds package, or a more general upstream problem ...

> If I've understood correctly, you're basing your decision partly on the
> download stats from SF.net and the use of the mingw-builds toolchains by the
> Qt project.
>
> Aaron Seigo had mentionned that the toolchain for the Qt project SDK had to
> use Dwarf2 EH. He also had a whole liste of *hard* requirements (like having
> multilib [ which I don't understand since QtCreator would hide it anyway ]).
> This is a case where having more choice changes a lot of
> things: most of us don't build multilib toolchains with dwarf2 eh.
> This choice doesn't change anything to the quality of the toolchains and of
> the
> work behind them.

The requirements you mentioned didn't came from Aaron Seigo, but were collected
on the qt-developers mailing list and put down at
http://qt-project.org/wiki/MinGW-64-bit , 'section Criteria for original
decision on toolchain'. They weren't really *hard requirements*, but more like
a wishlist to at least make a decision for one project. Anyway, as Alex as
pointed out some of them are now obsolete, since we didn't go down the path of
e.g. using one toolchain for 32 bit and 64 bit builds.

Anyhow, the decision to go for mingw-builds was in the end not only based on
technical criteria (besides some small mingw-make issue that was quickly
resolved, rubenv's builds were working just fine for Qt IIRC), but also on soft
facts like a personal build being by definition bound to one person.

> [...]
>
> You usually don't hear about users and I'm under the impression that for
> packagers it's even worse. However there are users; it might be difficult to
> understand who they are, where they are and how they use the binaries but
> they definitely exist.
>
> I'm not trying to change anyone's mind but I know this has been an open
> question for a long time now and currently we're probably missing 99% of the
> answer.

While the question about what current users are using is already hard to
answer, there's IMO a bigger one: What _potential_ users are there that aren't
already using mingw-w64 :) I started looking into mingw-w64 maybe a year ago,
only to find out that
 - there's no 'official' installer/ toolchain
 - there are a whole bunch of 'personal' builds & mingw-w64 derived projects
 - different projects provide a myriad of different gcc versions x architecture
x exception handling mechanism x threading library combinations (and again,
little hints on what is the 'recommended' configuration for most users).

I can easily imagine a lot of potential users are being scared away by this
overwhelming choice.

Anyhow, this is going off topic here ...

Kind regards

Kai