"Bruce W. Hoylman" wrote:

<snip>

> In my experience, these so-called enterprise solutions are just that
> ... a huge lathe, or whatever an end mill is.  Their solution to even
> the most minute problem is to throw huge - I mean huge - application
> piece parts at it, hoping to bury it in the wizard technology of the
> moment.  There is no other solution.  You get it all or you get none of
> it.  Or if you only want a part of the bulk, you still must sift through
> a mountain of installed crap.  "What do you mean I need 1GB of disk and
> 500 MB of memory just to get an internet-enabled report queue manager?"

I don't know where you got the 1GB disk requirement from? Even
Weblogic's download is only 43Mb, jBoss' is about 6Mb. The Java Platform
is somewhere between that. Your compiled enterprise app might only be
300Kb (and not just a "report queue manager"). And 500Mb of memory?
That's tuppence in the server world anyway.

J2EE is such a joy to work with in these class of problems which require
a middle tier. The APIs are clearly defined and standardized, every
object has a consitent feel, low level issues such as socket
communications and threading is handled for you. It leaves the developer
free to actually code toward the solution.

> Now maybe some feel better with a large enterprise application server or
> whatever staring over one's shoulder, but I prefer to build my solution
> in a way that I get only what I need.  The rest can be called upon,

If you think you can hack out a solution for those class of problems
from CPAN, then good for you. I'm sure you can in some cases. I think
mod_perl has done an excellent job of conquering the the two-teir
web-based problems. I love tools such as Mason and Apache::ASP which
ride on mod_perl. Perl-DBI is an excellent advancement for Perl in
general also.

I think it's exciting to think what an n-tier framework in Perl might
look like. IMHO, it should be more than just the outgrowth of CPAN's
contents.

<snip>

> An enterprise-size solution is rarely a viable answer to an
> enterprise-size problem.

Sounds almost like you're talking about "enterprise" being a "company"?
I know you can't be though... right?