    Matthew> I don't know where you got the 1GB disk requirement from?
    Matthew> Even Weblogic's download is only 43Mb, jBoss' is about
    Matthew> 6Mb. The Java Platform is somewhere between that. Your
    Matthew> compiled enterprise app might only be 300Kb (and not just a
    Matthew> "report queue manager"). And 500Mb of memory?  That's
    Matthew> tuppence in the server world anyway.

This happens to be minimum numbers for working with a particular
Application Server marketed by a well-known database vendor by the name
of Oracle Corp.

    Matthew> I think it's exciting to think what an n-tier framework in
    Matthew> Perl might look like. IMHO, it should be more than just the
    Matthew> outgrowth of CPAN's contents.

I agree, but I should be able to expand and contract this middle tier
monster in a very similiar fashion.  Hey, I want some functionality, get
it, configure it, install use it, derive from it, whatever.  On the
other hand, if I don't want, I can wipe it out without horking up the
entire system.

A degree of independence, sort of like the model driving a light weight
operating system, where the base is a skeleton framework and I can plug
in services, and uplug them, as necessary.  I can create said services
from existing ones via extension, or scratch together my own for a
particular need.

So CPAN has the concept just right.

    Matthew> Sounds almost like you're talking about "enterprise" being
    Matthew> a "company"?  I know you can't be though... right?

Yeah, right.