On 6 Dec 2000, David Hodgkinson wrote:

> Matt Sergeant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't looked at AO or AxKit, but if I can untar either one of them and
> > > just get to work, that will rule.
> >
> > You can't, but thats because I believe in the CPAN model - use pre-written
> > components. I don't believe shipping all those components in AxKit (and
> > there are a fair number required) is the right solution. Maybe I'm
> > mistaken.
>
> Isn't that just a question of getting a Bundle::AxKit together?
>
> Or is that an egg-sucking thing...

Bundles are for when you don't have a dependency tree, which AxKit has.
But the real problem is the non-perl modules. And the fact that AxKit
doesn't seem to work with PHP. And the Apache-expat bug/problem. All these
things make installing AxKit a bit non-trivial.

I quite like the Zope model - a single distribution which just includes
and installs everything you need in a single place. You get python, the
httpd, the database, everything. Of course if you have more complex needs,
like running Zope from within Apache, you need to do some extra work, but
out of the boz Zope gives you a great system that just runs. We could do
that with AxKit - just ship it with Apache, mod_perl, the whole lot. But I
don't think that would appeal to Perl people somehow. Thoughts?

--
<Matt/>

    /||    ** Director and CTO **
 // \\| // **     Personal Web Site: http://sergeant.org/     **