On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 12:08:59PM +0000, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> We could do
> that with AxKit - just ship it with Apache, mod_perl, the whole lot. But I
> don't think that would appeal to Perl people somehow. Thoughts?

We're not (really) talking about appealing to "Perl people" here, I
think, but about appealing to people who know how to spell "Perl".  By
this I mean we are talking about attracting developers who haven't
climbed the learning curves for Perl and Apache and mod_perl and DBI and
so on and would like an easy way to play with these things.

If you could do a few stand-alone releases you're proposing without
having to maintain too many binary releases, you would probably woo more
people in to trying it.  There's a big something to be said for being
able to grab a "starter kit" that "just works" and play with it.

Do that for RH6 & 7 and NT and promote the kits as nice, shallow
jumping-in places and more folks will get in and paddle around a bit
with AxKit, I think.

If you could release a source distro of same with a big, red "make"
button on it that would allow folks on FreeBSD, debian, wherever to take
a stab at it too, that would be icing on the cake.

Some compromises for out-of-box ease would be necessary.  Make it run on
a high-numbered port so any user can run it, and make it easy to
reconfig to port 80 if they want to get serious.  Choose a database that
can be bundled and "just work".  Etc.

- Barrie