J. J. Horner writes:
> I'd be interested in something like this.

Certification is a quagmire.  If it's done well, it takes a lot of
work by the certification authority, and that makes it expensive for
those certified.  If it's done poorly, it's useless and is just a
moneymaker for the certification authority.

I think that certification is only really meaningful when you have too
many applicants and need to give the employers a sense of how good the
applicants are.  That's the Cisco and Microsoft model, even though
MCSE is a joke.  I don't see a surfeit of mod_perl programmers.  If
anything, a stark shortage.

I'd rather see us find some way to churn out perl and mod_perl
programmers.  For instance, release a beginner class on Perl and
mod_perl and have local Perlmongers lead classes.  I have my slides
from the University of Perl, which I'd contribute to such an effort
(they're pretty closely based around the Eagle book, and some of the
details should be replaced with sections on Mason et al.).

Nat