On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> J. J. Horner writes:
> > I'd be interested in something like this.
>
> Certification is a quagmire.  If it's done well, it takes a lot of
> work by the certification authority, and that makes it expensive for
> those certified.  If it's done poorly, it's useless and is just a
> moneymaker for the certification authority.
>
> I think that certification is only really meaningful when you have too
> many applicants and need to give the employers a sense of how good the
> applicants are.  That's the Cisco and Microsoft model, even though
> MCSE is a joke.  I don't see a surfeit of mod_perl programmers.  If
> anything, a stark shortage.
>
> I'd rather see us find some way to churn out perl and mod_perl

Isn't the word 'churn' copyrighted by Guy Kawasaki? :)

> programmers.  For instance, release a beginner class on Perl and
> mod_perl and have local Perlmongers lead classes.  I have my slides
> from the University of Perl, which I'd contribute to such an effort
> (they're pretty closely based around the Eagle book, and some of the
> details should be replaced with sections on Mason et al.).

Yup, I agree with Nat, if everyone will contribute a little to
convince others that mod_perl rules, we will solve a big part of the
problem.

You can use my slides/handouts as well: http://stason.org/talks/.

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/