On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 07:56:09AM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> J. J. Horner writes:
> > I'd be interested in something like this.
>
> Certification is a quagmire.  If it's done well, it takes a lot of
> work by the certification authority, and that makes it expensive for
> those certified.  If it's done poorly, it's useless and is just a
> moneymaker for the certification authority.

I see your point.  I was just thinking that creating a program would
give some public credibility to the mod_perl community, which would then
allow an entrance point into the community, which would increase numbers,
which would increase message coverage, which would increase usage, which
would increase word-of-mouth, which would give credibility, etc, etc.

> I think that certification is only really meaningful when you have too
> many applicants and need to give the employers a sense of how good the
> applicants are.  That's the Cisco and Microsoft model, even though
> MCSE is a joke.  I don't see a surfeit of mod_perl programmers.  If
> anything, a stark shortage.

I could see a use for certification for when we have too few.  If we convert
the few uncertified to certified, then get the acronym (CMPP??) known, this
could be a way to identify the mod_perl community and provide press coverage.

> I'd rather see us find some way to churn out perl and mod_perl
> programmers.  For instance, release a beginner class on Perl and
> mod_perl and have local Perlmongers lead classes.  I have my slides
> from the University of Perl, which I'd contribute to such an effort
> (they're pretty closely based around the Eagle book, and some of the
> details should be replaced with sections on Mason et al.).

The mod_perl book is a very valued reference book for me.  I rarely
leave home without it, so to speak.

I do see your point, and you are probably right.  I feel we are in a chicken-egg
situation here:  we need people, so we need coverage and media, so we can get people.

I hate seeing very worthy technologies die in favor of less worthy, yet more hyped
technologies.  We need to beat them at their own game, it seems.

Thanks,
JJ
--
J. J. Horner