Sorry you're having so much trouble with the install.  It goes pretty
smoothly for most people, but you are complicating things a bit by
putting PHP and SSL in the mix on your first try.

>    Perrin, I have no idea if DSO is still involved

Apache will not build DSO unless you tell it to.

Your build routine looks fine to me.  I do the same except I don't
usually build in mod_ssl, and it works.

>    After I install the apache server I check the
> httpd.conf.  In it are 2 key lines:
>
>       LoadModule perl_module  libexec/libperl.so
>       AddModule mod_perl.c

Get rid of your old conf file.  You don't want any of that
LoadModule/AddModule junk at all in a static server.  That's DSO-only.
(Anyone know if mod_ssl somehow forces you to use DSO?)

> However, when I try to browse my hello.pl
> file (from Apache Modules w/ Perl & C, pp 42-4) it
> displays it as text rather than an html page.  It's as
> if the Options ExecCGI were not applied.

That script should work under CGI as well.  Does it?  Did you remember
to make it executable?

I'm afraid I'm not that much help with install problems because I just
haven't had any of my own to deal with.  You can try using Apache
Toolbox to do the build.  It's supposed to make this stuff easier.  If
it seems hopeless, you could always check out SpeedyCGI, which gives a
similar speedup for perl CGI scripts bu does not require apache to be
recompiled.  It doesn't give you access to the full range of mod_perl
tools, but it may be all you need in this case.

- Perrin