On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> OTOH, if you were to try to replicate some of Mason's more powerful
> features with H::T, like autohandlers, inheritance, etc., then I'm
> sure that'd bring H::T's speed down to Mason's level ;)

I wouldn't be too sure.  I implemented a lot of that stuff to add
HTML::Template support to Bricolage and it's still much faster than
Mason.

> In other words, you generally get what you pay for.  The most powerful and
> flexible systems are generally slower and more RAM-hungry.  One exception
> to this might be Embperl, which has large chunks written in C.  In that
> case, the cost is paid for in development time.

HTML::Template::JIT also trades development time (mine) for run-time
speed.  Right now it doesn't support all of HTML::Template's
functionality, but it comes pretty close.  The upside is that it's
between four and eight times faster than HTML::Template, which makes
it the fastest templating system by a large margin.

-sam