OK, since no one is giving it a stab...

It's been years since I've held one (I don't collect inserts or lobbies), but
as far as I remember:

The so-called 'minty whites' are printed on what I can only describe as a very
modern stock of paper (completely different from what NSS was using in the
70's).  I don't know anything about the pulp & paper industries, but the minty
whites are on a paper that has an inherent shine or gloss to it.  Something
very un-natural.  I would guess there's some sort of plastic or other type of
artificial chemical in the slurry they make the paper out of.  In the old days,
they would have just used pulp, or all-natural fibres.  That's why Bruce says
the minty whites have glossy backs - the gloss is in the paper itself
(plastic-y).  It's that same kind of new stock that's only been around for
maybe a decade or so.  When you look closely at it in the light, there's almost
a spider-webby thing going on (artificial fibres perhaps?).  Looks more like a
thousand miniscule layers of resin stacked on top of each other and
heat-pressed together (almost as if it was sprayed into place), instead of just
natural paper.  Very subjective, very subtle, but if you've held dozens of real
inserts or lobby cards, you'll know the difference when you see it.  It just
won't look right (especially for the supposed age).  Close to the right weight,
but definitely the wrong paper...

Plus, the poorly-hung-fools that created these made innumerable mistakes
(photoshop errors, little changes, etc...), so they're pretty easy to tell
apart otherwise.

Cheers,

Bob