gav:
seems to me people still don't get what the word 'sustainability' means.
it is a word heard every day in the media but it is used unconsciously - it is
a buzzword i guess.
the reason i say this is because the concept of economic growth is still seen
as indispensable. and yet these two concepts are in direct opposition.
economic growth is the problem. we don't want growth - we want to sustain
ourselves in a dynamic balance with the planet.
growth for growth's sake is the self-destroying logic of cancer.

woods:
    I agree gav.  Sustainability, one would think, would need to be the
leverage on
any political, regional, and local decision.  Harmonizing...

gav:
sustainable means that we are living in harmony with the environment. that what
we take out, we return. we have to close the cycles - no more waste and
pollution. anything that produces pollution/waste - ie an end product that
cannot be reincorporated into the cycle - is not sustainable. this is not a
difficult point to grasp. by this logic, nuclear power is a no-no; as are most
other mining practices; as is plastic production from fossil fuels, paper
bleaching (resulting in that superpoison - dioxin) and deforestation is a
complete no-no.
whether labour/liberal, democrat/republican, labour/conservative etc, the dogma
of cancerous growth remains. do we love cancer that much?
i vote green. in australia bob brown and the greens have balls and brains (bob
brown and kerry nettle were thrown out of parliament for refusing to remain
silent while dubya spouted his hypocritical shite there a few years ago).
i guess in the states you have even less choice politically than we do here...i
mean obama is about as black as me and mccain is a gung-ho nutter and
palin....ohmy god....she is pathologically stupid (good breeder
though....always the way). do you even have the greens?

woods:
    We have a green party but SOM, the two party system locks out any rival
parties
from national politics.  Even while other political parties have been able to
get enough
popular backing to be able to registrar and be on the voting ballots for the
presidential
elections in all or most states in the U.S., the media suppresses these other
parties
and the two dominant parties suppress these other parties.  When there are
national
debates only the two dominant parties are allowed to participate.  Voices are
being
suppressed in this culture.

gav:
anyway just thought i'd throw my extreme views into the saucepan once
more.....good luck to us all...

woods:
good luck.  By the way, you don't sound extreme to me.  You sound sensible.

woods