Just a quickie from the hip, gav .... to come back to later.

Firstly, as far as I'm concerned, that's the right question.
Seondly, part of the answer is understanding how those cycles work -
they are actually driven by knowledge - applied knowledge (aka
"technology" in a technical sense of the word).
Thirdly, "profit-based" would be too narrow a focus to start with, we
should just not rule profits out. Evolution is about "cui-bono". We
need to better define what profits (good outcomes, values) are besides
tyrannical numbers.

You had it right first time.
The word is sustainable .... the catch that confuses some, is that
sustained is not the same as static ... the future (like the past)
will always involve ups and downs ... dynamic is good. (and yes I
realize I'm playing fast and loose between Pirsigian and natural
language uses of the word static ...)

It would be wonderful as far as I am concerned to have a sensible
convesation about this ... but we'd need an idiot-free zone ;-)

I'll be back.
Ian