On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:41, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I've stuck to the format of John's so far as I can.  There may have to be
> an 'other info' column if we are going to try to collate this info, as
> there will be many cases of one-offs, I think.
>
> It's interesting, though.  The survey has made me think a bit about some
> problems I've had, and things I might try to improve the issue.  I had
> thought, for instance that tge cd-dvd was just ready for throwing, but now
> I'm not so sure that's the problem.
>
> Spec, then:
>
> Contact                               Anne Wilson
> Email                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Machine name                  anne-linux
>
> System specs:
>
> Make                          home build
> Model                         n/a
> CPU                           Athlon
> CPU manuf:                    AMD
> CPU rating                    900
> MBoard Manuf                  Asus
> MBoard Model                  A7V
> USB ports                     2+2+2 all on-board
>                               4-port hub, identified by linux as Texas Instruments
>TUSB2040/2070 Hub
> BIOS                          AMD
> Chipsets                      VIA VT8363 (VIA Apollo KT133) system controller
>                               VIA VT82C686A PCIset
> Controllers                   VIA VT8363/8365 (KT133/KM133) rev. 02
>
> On-board
> RAM type and quantity         2x256DIMMS - supports 1.5Gb PC133 RAM
> CPU Bus                               200MHz FSB
> Cache                         256 Kb
> Video card                    Matrox Millennium G400 Dual Head
> Video memory                  32 Mb
> Video bus                     AGP Pro/4X
> Sound card                    Audigy Platinum
> I/O Ports                     1 serial disabled at bios
>                               1 serial for occasional camera or modem connection
>                               1 parallel unused
> IRQs shared                   5 - usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth0
>                               10 - ide2, ide3, ohci1394
>
> Peripherals installed
>
> Floppy                                generic
> CD-ROM_0                      cd/dvd,Hitachi GD-5000
> Connection                    on-board ide
> Position                      secondary master
> CD-ROM1                               CD-RW, Mitsumi CR-48X9TE Rev. 1.0C
> Channel]                      UDMA ide connector
> Position                      secondary slave
> HDDs                          Fujitsu PMPG 3204AT, 19.5 Gb, UDMA 5 - UDMA connector
>primary
> master Maxtor 91731V4, 16 Gb, UDMA 4, UDMA connector, primary slave
>                               Fujitsu MPA 3043 ATU, 4 Gb, UDMA 2, secondary master
>
> Other:
>
> NIC                           SMC-EZ 10/100, Realtek chipset
> SCSI card                     Tekram DC-390, PCI listed by linux as AMD 53c974
>PCscsi rev.10
>
> USB devices                   Imation LS120 floptical
>                               HP DeskJet 990Cxi printer
>                               Epson Perfection 1650 scanner
>
> Findings

> [...]

Anne i have a similar setup (on 8.2) in as far as i have
hdc SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-606F
hdd ACER 4X4X32 CD-RW

They both work well on supermount although i am carefull with konq when in
/mnt , if i try to eject konq closes the tray again. I back out to / before
changing media.
My /etc/lilo.conf (relevant line) -
        append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"
My /etc/fstab (relevant lines) -
{
/mnt/dvd /mnt/dvd supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/mnt/cd-rw /mnt/cd-rw supermount
dev=/dev/scd1,fs=iso9660,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
}
Users in KDE have a relevant dvd or cd-rw icon that i set up. Then i deleted
the cdrom directories in /mnt and the cdrom icons in kde. I normally work
from IceWM unless i am showing off eye candy in KDE.
--
Michael