On Tuesday 26 Nov 2002 2:33 pm, Technoslick wrote:
> From: "Anne Wilson"
>
> >No, but I wanted the convenience of being able to read from the dvd and
> write
> >to the cd-rw, but XCDroast couldn't see it.  I understand k3b (I think
> > it's called) could do it anyway, so I'll look at that when I've a moment.
>
> I haven't tried burning 'on-the-fly' with Linux, as yet. I can tell you it
> didn't work for me under Windows 98 SE. Then again, it's not like I have a
> lot of horsepower here. The pair of AMD K6-2/500's I have, have long since
> lost their prime in running modern tech stuff. :-(

I used to do it regularly on Nero.  I've had a couple of cds ruined by playing
them in the car, so I don't risk it any more.  I make a copy for car use.

> I haven't tried K3b yet. It sounds like a good alternative to eroast. I
> have never been able to get XCDroast to work for me.

I find it OK for data, but not for music.

> >I was under the impression, too, that it would not work for dvd film (as
> >distinct from data) if it was not scsi emulated.  Is this not so?
>
> I am not sure that I know what you are implying,

Nothing complicated - just playing dvd movies.

> Keep in mind that in a perfect answer, it is not best to put two devices
> such as these on the same IDE channel.

Since I have 4 ide connectors (two normal and two udma) I have plenty of
space.  I don't need to put them together.

> Some here have said they do it all
> the time and never have problems. It could be because they are running very
> fast systems that can accept the data flow without interruption.

XCDroast has a message that seems to me to imply that burn-free, or whatever
it calls it, is switched on.  I wonder if that means the same as it would in
Nero?

> >BTW - is your Liteon drive coupled with a cd-rw?  I'm curious after my
> parts
> >supplier talked of some incompatibilities.
>
> Yes, I do run my Liteon on the same IDE channel as another ROM device. The
> Liteon is master, the Phillips CD-RW is slave. As far as I can tell, they
> both work as expected.

I don't know which brands they were talking about, apart from Afreey, but I do
know that if they are asked to supply one they now ask what it will be teamed
with.  As I said, they were not rubbishing the drive, just being cautious
about compatibility.

Anne