----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Burns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet Connection Problem (long, sorry!)

> On Wed, January 29 2003 5:19 pm, FemmeFatale wrote:
> > Hi Margot!  I haven't followed this whole thread but if I may say, your
ISP
> > Is full of shit.  ZA has nothing to do with them.  It just shields your
> > comp from outside of the LAN computers.  IE, Net comps on the other end.
>
> Actually, that's not QUITE true, perhaps her ISP uses some transparent
> proxying that ZA blocks.  I have seen cases where firewalls DO cause
problems
> with certain ISPs.  Although, that is not her problem, that is the ISP's.
> Or, perhaps they have a very non-standard way of giving her internet
access,
> perhaps using some sort of virtual networking, automatically set up at
their
> end.  If this is the case, then 9 times out of 10, any firewall would
break
> it.  I could get quite technical, in the ways it could happen.. But there
is
> no time, nor is this the proper place.
>
> However, to help you with your problem, I would suggest that you, at the
> (EEK!!) command line, su to root, type ipchains -F, then ipchains -L and
see
> what the default policies are.. INPUT and OUTPUT should be allowed.. If
they
> are, then we have another problem, but it's a start.
>
> --
> Chuck Burns, Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Chuck

Logged in as user, su to root, went to (EEK!!) command line, tried both
ipchains -F and ipchains -L, got the same error message for both: "Could not
run the specified command".

In case there was a permission problem, tried logging in as root and using
root console for both commands, and got "command not found".

Is there somewhere else to look for these default policies?

Margot