On Thursday 30 Jan 2003 12:33 am, Chuck Burns wrote:
> On Wed, January 29 2003 5:19 pm, FemmeFatale wrote:
> > Hi Margot!  I haven't followed this whole thread but if I may say, your
> > ISP Is full of shit.  ZA has nothing to do with them.  It just shields
> > your comp from outside of the LAN computers.  IE, Net comps on the other
> > end.
>
> Actually, that's not QUITE true, perhaps her ISP uses some transparent
> proxying that ZA blocks.  I have seen cases where firewalls DO cause
> problems with certain ISPs.  Although, that is not her problem, that is the
> ISP's. Or, perhaps they have a very non-standard way of giving her internet
> access, perhaps using some sort of virtual networking, automatically set up
> at their end.  If this is the case, then 9 times out of 10, any firewall
> would break it.  I could get quite technical, in the ways it could happen..
> But there is no time, nor is this the proper place.
>
> However, to help you with your problem, I would suggest that you, at the
> (EEK!!) command line, su to root, type ipchains -F, then ipchains -L and
> see what the default policies are.. INPUT and OUTPUT should be allowed.. If
> they are, then we have another problem, but it's a start.

Chuck - wouldn't it be sensible to switch off the firewall altogether until we
are sure that she has a connection set up?  Then you or someone else
knowledgeable could help her get the firewall right, knowing that there
wasn't two problems?  As far as I know she hasn't actually managed a
connection yet.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302