On Sunday 02 March 2003 06:37 am, Margot wrote:
> Hello All
>
> Had to step back from this problem for a while, for health reasons. Back
> now, and have got a bit further, but not much!
>
> Have abandoned eurobell as ISP, and gone with freeserve anytime. Have set
> it all up in MCC/kppp and Mozilla (thanks to John Richard Smith for
> freeserve screenshots), but still having problems.
>
> Subscribed to the Berlin news server via Win 98 machine, and next time I
> tried to connect via Linux machine the news.cis.dfn.de account
> automatically showed up in Mozilla - but when I tried to subscribe to
> newsgroups I got "Failed to connect to server news.cis.dfn.de". Seems to me
> that it HAS connected to the server - or how would Mozilla know that I had
> registered for that service - but for some reason it won't let me see the
> information that is coming from the server!
>
> When trying to receive email, I get "Failed to connect to server
> pop.freeserve.com". Attempted browsing gives me a message at the bottom of
> the browser screen "Resolving host www.google.co.uk" and a box in the
> middle of the browser saying "www.google.co.uk  could not be found. Please
> check the name and try again".
>
> By mistake the other day I forgot to set kppp running before trying
> Mozilla - and got the exact same error messages on mail, news and browse
> without even being connected to the internet!
>
> I have tried to ping, and got strange results - when I did ping
> www.yahoo.com I got "unknown host www.yahoo.com, but when I tried ping
> 66.218.71.83 (the numeric version of yahoo) I got "PING 66.218.71.83
> (66.218.71.83) from 217.134.91.169 : 56(84) bytes of data. I don't
> understand why it works by number but not by name.
>
> Can anyone help me further?
>
> Thanks
> Margot

Ummm

sounds like a cookie/nameserver problem (two problems with similar results)

First resolve the nameserver problem

Then take care of the cookies by re-registering for the services.

For the nameserver problem, let us see the output of a command line

1.  Open a terminal
2.  Type the command
3.  highlight the output with the mouse
4.  click on the email window and middle-click (or right and lefgt click at
same time) to paste

The command is

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

Also in kppp make sure you have some nameservers set or that you are getting
automated retrieval

Here is my cat /etc/resolv.conf

[EMAIL PROTECTED] tester]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search civileme.net
nameserver 209.193.4.8
nameserver 209.193.4.7

# ppp temp entry