----- Original Message -----
From: "civileme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Internet Connection Problem (long, sorry!)

<snipped details of problem>

> Ummm
>
> sounds like a cookie/nameserver problem (two problems with similar
results)

> First resolve the nameserver problem
>
> Then take care of the cookies by re-registering for the services.
>
> For the nameserver problem, let us see the output of a command line
>
> 1.  Open a terminal
> 2.  Type the command
> 3.  highlight the output with the mouse
> 4.  click on the email window and middle-click (or right and lefgt click
at
> same time) to paste

Actually printed out then retyped the output - because the email on the
linux machine isn't working! - but thanks for the tip about the middle mouse
button, I had wondered what it was for.

> The command is
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf

search localdomain eurobell.co.uk
search localdomain
search localdomain freeserve.com
search localdomain freeserve.com
# nameserver 192.168.100.6
nameserver 192.168.0.2
nameserver 212.24.65.65
nameserver 212.24.65.199

# ppp temp entry
[EMAIL PROTECTED] user]

Presumably I need to remove the first line, but what about the others?

> Also in kppp make sure you have some nameservers set or that you are
getting
> automated retrieval

... is set to Automatic

> Civileme