Hello All

Had to step back from this problem for a while, for health reasons. Back
now, and have got a bit further, but not much!

Have abandoned eurobell as ISP, and gone with freeserve anytime. Have set it
all up in MCC/kppp and Mozilla (thanks to John Richard Smith for freeserve
screenshots), but still having problems.

Subscribed to the Berlin news server via Win 98 machine, and next time I
tried to connect via Linux machine the news.cis.dfn.de account automatically
showed up in Mozilla - but when I tried to subscribe to newsgroups I got
"Failed to connect to server news.cis.dfn.de". Seems to me that it HAS
connected to the server - or how would Mozilla know that I had registered
for that service - but for some reason it won't let me see the information
that is coming from the server!

When trying to receive email, I get "Failed to connect to server
pop.freeserve.com". Attempted browsing gives me a message at the bottom of
the browser screen "Resolving host www.google.co.uk" and a box in the middle
of the browser saying "www.google.co.uk  could not be found. Please check
the name and try again".

By mistake the other day I forgot to set kppp running before trying
Mozilla - and got the exact same error messages on mail, news and browse
without even being connected to the internet!

I have tried to ping, and got strange results - when I did ping
www.yahoo.com I got "unknown host www.yahoo.com, but when I tried ping
66.218.71.83 (the numeric version of yahoo) I got "PING 66.218.71.83
(66.218.71.83) from 217.134.91.169 : 56(84) bytes of data. I don't
understand why it works by number but not by name.

Can anyone help me further?

Thanks
Margot