On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 04:03:55PM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:30:37 +0800
> "Frankie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
>
> > Postfix is already setup to put mail for local users in
> > /var/spool/mail you do not need to change that..
> >
> > just install imap/pop3
> > edit the pop3 entry in /etc/xinetd.d (make sure its enabled)
> >
> > and all the machines on your network should be able to check their pop
> > accounts using your server..
> >
> > works great.
>
> ok, so far I've got the server collecting mail from the ISP for a test
> account I set up. however, the mail did not go to
> /var/spool/mail/test0001, it went to /var/spool/mail/joehill.

you created user test0001? Just checking :) (You also might try logging
in as test0001 in case there are certain files that get created on first
login, like a mail spool--just grasping here.)

> Now, for the fetchmailrc, I thought the postmaster was the person
> responsible for the server, ie. the admin, so I put "joehill".
>
> I also thought that by putting 'here "test0001"' in the poll section
> that it would know to dump the mail in /var/spool/mail/test0001.

I don't do a system-wide fetchmail, but my .fetchmailrc looks something
like this:

poll pop-server.domain.com protocol POP3 user "email-handle" password
"password" is "localuser" here

So I think you're on the right track.

> Also, I have courier installed on the mail server, but when I try to
> connect to it to retrieve mail, it hangs on "authenticating". The
> parameters I used in Sylpheed were 192.168.0.5 for the POP3 server and
> the user and pass for that account on the server. I also specified to
> use port 110, just in case.

Are you using IMAP or POP3? If it's IMAP of course you'll need to use
port 143.

Todd

--
Let us be utopian for a moment so that when we get realistic again it
is not that "realism" so useful to the Establishment in discouraging