On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 13:38, John Richard Smith wrote:
> How may one change file attributes ?

'chmod' for file access access permissions ('man chmod' for details),
for other (more obscure, less advisable to play with) attributes, try
'man chattr'.

> and how do you unhide  hidden files ( the  .file type) in a consul ?

The period that proceeds the filename is to indicate that it is to be
hidden during normal browsing- for settings etc. This hiding isn't due
to any attributes (as far as I'm aware). To view these files you just
have to overwrite the behaviour of the file browsing application you are
using. For instance, if you are at a console you're probably using 'ls'.
>From 'man ls' the switch to use is -a, so 'ls -a' should display all the
files.

In graphical interfaces such as Konqueror there are settings that
achieve the same effect.

A.