Andrew Archibald wrote:

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 23:19, John Richard Smith wrote:

cd /mnt/win_c2/downloads2
downloads2]# ls -a
./   dnloads/  .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso*
../ .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso.segments*

I've no idea why there is a '.' at the start of these file names or what the '.segments' file is for. I imagine they are partially downloaded copies? What download client did you use to get them?

NT or D4X, as it's now known.

Now the interesting thing about this iso file is that it has acquired "text file" icon status, when it was "unknown" icon status.

What is "text file" icon status? Is this in a graphical file manager?

Yes, Konqueror.

The 'ls' command doesn't produce anything I'd describe as icons!

No I should of made that clearer.

could you give a bit more detail on what you're seeing to worry you?

If you are worried about the integrity of a file (and I probably would be given the weird naming) then the authoritative way to test the file is using 'md5sum' ('man md5sum' for details) which will compute an MD5 message digest. You then have to compare to the one on the mandrake download site- if they match you have the file in it's entirety, ready to burn to CD.

A.

No, I am not concerned here with the integrity of the file , not in terms of bytes , but in konqueror the icon that represents the file has changed from the usual "unknown" with a question mark, to the text file icon with a pencil over a page background, and I believe whatever is assigning this attribute to the file is doing it wrong. But as you previous email says the mandrake iso file is stored on a fat32 partition at the moment, I can change that if necessary, but something changed the attributes of the file to give the wrong Iso file icon to that file, I am probably worrying for nothing , but I'm curious to understand what has actually happened to the iso file to make this happen and indeed what I can do to correct it if any thing can be done at all. If you like I could move the file to an ext2 partition and work on it there , but is that really necessary ?

You see for one thing the iso file , if it were burnt to CD as an iso file might have some errors in it's attributes ?

Also if I attempt to write the contents of the iso file to CD is there a risk that the writer may have problems understanding what it's got to do ? I expect the writer simply reads the file endings and so .iso means it will set about writing the content of the iso file, if instructed ,to disc, but can this lead to problems if the original iso file itself has incorrect attributes assigned to the file in terms of what choice of Icon is used to represent it.I don't know. I'm Just currious, and don't really understand the basis of the rules that govern the matter. That is why I originally set about trying to find a programme that changes the attributes of files, not realizing that I had the file on a fat32 partition at the time.Daft of me I know, but we all make mistakes.But even if I do move the iso file to an ext2 partition, will the chattr programme give me the means to change the icon attributes back to the customary questionmark icon. I don't know how to do that, and even after reading man chattr I still don't understand how to do that.

sorry to labour the points.

But I'm still interested to learn a bit more if I can.

John

John

--
John Richard Smith