On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 23:19, John Richard Smith wrote:
>  cd /mnt/win_c2/downloads2
> downloads2]# ls -a
> ./   dnloads/  .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso*
> ../ .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso.segments*

I've no idea why there is a '.' at the start of these file names or what
the '.segments' file is for. I imagine they are partially downloaded
copies? What download client did you use to get them?

> Now the interesting thing about this iso file is that it has acquired "text file"
> icon status, when it was "unknown" icon status.

What is "text file" icon status? Is this in a graphical file manager?
The 'ls' command doesn't produce anything I'd describe as icons! could
you give a bit more detail on what you're seeing to worry you?

If you are worried about the integrity of a file (and I probably would
be given the weird naming) then the authoritative way to test the file
is using 'md5sum' ('man md5sum' for details) which will compute an MD5
message digest. You then have to compare to the one on the mandrake
download site- if they match you have the file in it's entirety, ready
to burn to CD.

A.