On Friday 09 April 2004 06:23, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Andrew Archibald wrote:
> >On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 23:19, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >> cd /mnt/win_c2/downloads2
> >>downloads2]# ls -a
> >>./   dnloads/  .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso*
> >>../ .Mandrakelinux-10.0-Community-Download-CD1.i586.iso.segments*
> >
> >I've no idea why there is a '.' at the start of these file names or
> > what the '.segments' file is for. I imagine they are partially
> > downloaded copies? What download client did you use to get them?
>
> NT or D4X, as it's now known.
>
> >>Now the interesting thing about this iso file is that it has
> >> acquired "text file" icon status, when it was "unknown" icon
> >> status.
> >
> >What is "text file" icon status? Is this in a graphical file
> > manager?
>
> Yes, Konqueror.
>
> >The 'ls' command doesn't produce anything I'd describe as icons!
>
> No I should of made that clearer.
>
> > could you give a bit more detail on what you're seeing to worry
> > you?
> >
> >If you are worried about the integrity of a file (and I probably
> > would be given the weird naming) then the authoritative way to test
> > the file is using 'md5sum' ('man md5sum' for details) which will
> > compute an MD5 message digest. You then have to compare to the one
> > on the mandrake download site- if they match you have the file in
> > it's entirety, ready to burn to CD.
> >
> >A.
>
> No, I am not concerned here with the integrity of the file , not in
> terms of bytes , but in konqueror the icon that represents the file
> has changed from the usual "unknown" with a question mark, to the
> text file icon with a pencil over a page background, and I believe
> whatever is assigning this attribute to the file is doing it wrong.
> But as you previous email says the mandrake iso file is stored on a
> fat32 partition at the moment, I can change that if necessary, but
> something changed the attributes of the file to give the wrong Iso
> file icon to that file, I am probably worrying for nothing , but I'm
> curious to understand what has actually happened to the iso file to
> make this happen and indeed what I can do to correct it if any thing
> can be done at all. If you like I could move the file to an ext2
> partition and work on it there , but is that really necessary ?
>
> You see for one thing the iso file , if it were burnt to CD as an iso
> file might have some errors in it's attributes ?
>
> Also if I attempt to write the contents of the iso file to CD is
> there a risk that the writer may have problems understanding what
> it's got to do ? I expect the writer simply reads the file endings
> and so .iso means it will set about writing the content of the iso
> file, if instructed ,to disc, but can this lead to problems if the
> original iso file itself has incorrect attributes assigned to the
> file in terms of what choice of Icon is used to represent it.I don't
> [...]
1.  I am more of a newbie than you.
2.  Windows determines the file type from the .ext, it is my
understanding that linux does not.
3.  Might it be possible that a file on a fat32 FS would be accepted by
linux as a text file since it hasn't been classified by linux.
--
Regards;
Hoyt

Ignore the past and you will fail!
Ignore the future and you have already failed!