On Thursday 17 June 2004 08:31 am, Lanman wrote:

> For instance, I'm constantly getting people trying (and failing)to
> connect to my network from China, and Amsterdam. A quick check at
> "arin.net" tells me where it's coming from and allows me to block their
>   IP's in my firewall. Afterwards, they're just a distant memory.

A lot of the China and Amsterdam hack attempts are coming through open
proxies.  That doesn't mean that it isn't necessary to block the attempts but
putting them permanently in a firewall will eventually ban what might become
legitimate traffic once the clueless admin figures out how to secure their
system.

However, Your Server, Your Rules.
--
Bryan Phinney