Bryan Phinney wrote:
On Thursday 17 June 2004 03:07 pm, JoeHill wrote:

Not that I don't know how, but because I'm on a dynamic IP which belongs to
a block of 'consumer' addresses, I end up on DNSRBL's within minutes.

I guess I pretty much already am running a mailserver (fetchmail, postfix,
procmail), but I still have to use my ISP's SMTP server, so I just don't
consider it really having my own mailserver unless I can reliably *send*
mail from my own machine.

Joe, I really don't think that the dynamic IP matters all that much really. I ran a Postfix server off of a dynamic IP for quite a little bit before switching over to static. Most mail servers don't block at that level. Now, they do block on reverse DNS with failure to obtain an MX record for the claimed domain. Once I had a domain name with a DNS that had an MX record, I had very few problems originating mail.

Joe; One thing to consider is that you switch to another service. I had the same problems with Sympatico and Videotron, so I switched to ISTOP. They're based out of Ottawa, but they service Toronto and Montreal as well.

They have an ADSL package that runs about $45.00/month, which includes 3.5Mbps download, 800k upload, and a static IP address. Whether or not you're in a residence or not, you can run DNS, Web, FTP, anything at all, with a 25GB limit per month during peak hours and unlimited limit in non-peak hours.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. They run everything on Linux and they really know their stuff. Since you're already a Sympatico client, they won't charge you for the transfer either! All you have to do is to fax them a copy of your last Sympatico invoice when you sign up, and they'll waive the transfer fee. They can provide you with a modem if you don't own yours, but buying one is cheaper in the long run.

Have a look at it and then decide whether or not Sympatico is such a great deal. Hopefully, you're not stuck in some sort of long-term contract.

HTH

Lanman

here's their link;

www.istop.com