On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:14:59 -0400
Bryan Phinney disseminated the following:

> Most mail servers don't block at that level.

This is where I'm not clear. What is the difference between using a DNSRBL and
what you describe below? I thought the DNSRBL's were the results of the reverse
DNS checks...

> Now, they do block on reverse DNS with failure to obtain an MX record for the
> claimed domain.

This is what Sourceforge does, so all of my posts to their mailing lists kept
spitting back at me.

> Once I had a domain name with a DNS that had an MX record, I had very few
> problems originating mail.

That's where I'm still in the dark. I'm not sure how to set up my own DNS and
MX here (I need to configure Bind, no?), and I'm not sure if Zonedit (what I use
for my domain name on a dynamic IP) will maintain an MX record for me. I'll have
to check on that.

Anyhow, when someone does a reverse lookup on my IP, won't it *always* show
Sympatico and not my DNS/MX record? Or does mine override Sympatico's?

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.orderinchaos.org
17:12:14 up 15 days, 3:35, 7 users, load average: 0.40, 0.25, 0.16