Eh, actually there is a BIG need to perform a cold boot.

I went into the specifics of this in prior postings, but the Nvidia
chips must be re-inited completely as the NV drivers cannot handle the
state the chipset was left in by XFree86's drivers.

In addition the Nvidia modules get aliased by /etc/modules.conf at boot
so they are properly loaded at invocation...

-JMS