Sorry, my message wan't pointed directly at you,,,

On November 25, 2001 10:33 am, Franki wrote:
> Firstly, I wasn't talking about me.. I was refering to people unfamiliar
> with the proceedure..

That's the point I was trying to make, it's the lack of familiarity, not a
problem inherent to Linuxes (... or Linuxi?)

> I have always managed to get things going.. but I know a shitload of people
> that haven't been able to.
>
> <snip>
> ..Wow, what a lazy bunch of buggers!
> </snip>
>
> First, the 'hunting for libraries' complaint is moot: I have yet to look
> any further than my own LM install disks for libraries-- LM is probably
> better than many distros out there as they actually provide you with more
> than one install CD and all the stuff they offer has been compiled for a
> Mandrake system so it's going to work.
>
> <snip>
> like I said, not my problem, but you don't have to install them in
> windows,, (their method sux, with overwriting
> and such, but it does make it more or less dead easy.)
> </snip>

...I'll stand by installations on Linux being different and not difficult and
when you're installing RPMs through RPMDrake, dependencies are installed in
the same go anyway so what's the big deal?

> Second, no one says you *have* to install the latest kernel and it isn't
> even
> necessary unless you're adding brand new hardware that didn't exist six
> months ago-- how many of you out there are installing kernels just because
> it
> has a higher number?
>
> <snip>
> What about the recommended kernel upgrades, there have always been some in
> the last few mdk versions..
> sometimes more then one,,  (ie 7.2) 8 has had a security kernel upgrade,
> and mandrake 8.1 has one now too.
> (to address the recent ptrace bug and others..)
> </snip>

OK, valid-- but that's two critical updates over hundreds of unwarranted
kernel version updates (unwarranted for the average user...)

> By-and-by the install process is standard-- using RPMs is easy enough and
> for
> the odd times when I have to compile there's always an "install.sh" or
> "configure.sh"-- and another silly thing that even comes with Windoze
> installations: README files-- how many of you have failed to install
> something properly because you didn't read the instructions.
>
> <snip>
> I didn't claim that windows was better, I loath windows and M$, but it is
> undeniably easier.
> 5000,000 morons can't be wrong. :-)
> </snip>

...Still don't have me convinced Linux is just different and much of the
perceived difficulty is from having to change.  I say this with absolute
certainty because I had to change from Windows-thinking to Linux-thinking
myself.

> Bottom line:  If you want something 'Just like Windows' then use Windows.
> There is no such thing as out-and-out replacing an OS.  They all have their
> advantages and disadvantages.
>
> <snip>
> I don't deny that at all, and I wasn't refering to that at all... I simply
> made
> a suggestion, such suggestions are the reason that KDE, Gnome and others
> are slowly reaching
> the same level of functionality as windows.. don't be a puritan, things
> don't have to be hard..
> I can do it the hard way as well as anyone, I am just not so short sighted
> as to think that it
> may not be the most productive way to always do it the hard way.. and
> incidently, all I said was
> to create a self executable tar file or something that can do the hard work
> for you, and then make it a
> standard.. and just you watch, it will happen. each distro will end up with
> a file in it somewhere that
> details its locations policy, and the install tar can read that to work out
> where to install everything,
> and it could automatically update the rpm database, go and get libs or
> whatever (assuming it doesn't contain
> them already) and it would make loading apps easier then windows, which
> means FAST to install, meaning
> more productive.. I am not even concerned with difficulty myself, I don't
> give a rats to be quiet honest.
> I am concerned with getting it done fast, and moving on,, I don't like to
> dick around when I could be
> doing something more productive.. EFFICIENCY... thats what it is all about,
> "More bang for your Click" so to
> speak.. (thats not a bad theme that.. :-)
> </snip>
>

> And while we're at it the day Linux starts acting completely like Windows
> is the same day I have to defragment my ReiserFS partition after I do a
> virus scan because my firewalling software didn't work.
>
> <snip>
> So you equate ease with worth? if something isn't hard to do or time
> consuming, then it can't be any good?

I spend more time actually using my home computer than maintaining it since I
switched to Linux... three-hour hard-drive defrags with Win98?  No one really
wants that do they?

> thats just outright bullshit,, how many sysadmins are not overworked?  I
> know I am,, so anything that makes
> my job faster, means I am more productive, end of story.
> </snip>

Whoops, you missed the point, ReiserFS doesn't need defragging, there are no
virii on Linux and Linux firewalling is done through proper packet
filtering...    It's just a bit of hyperbole, an exaggeration.

The fact is there's less work to do on a Linux system because Linux is Linux
and not Windows.

Richie