On Friday 31 May 2002 23:36, you wrote:
> DivX is not the same as the now defunct Circuit City DVD competitor
> wannabe Divx. DivX (also called DivX:), I believe it is) is a form
> of video compression. So no, you can not play your Circuit City
> Divx disc on Linux (or anywhere else for that matter). At least you
> have a nice Abyss coaster. ;)
>
> Vince

I found a small DivX trailer file to download and got it to work with
the linux DivX movie player. It would not work with Mplayer for some
reason. The name of the file  that I downloaded was:
Contact.zip which when unzipped (linux extract prog)became two files
Contact_movie.avi
               divx.log
So far, I cannot find any sites to download full length movies,seems
like this field needs a audiogalaxy type setup.

However, I would like to know whether Linux has a programme to
convert Commercial DVD format to the Divx format which as I
understand it is MP4 which is easily written to CD by an ordinary
writer.I just proved it to be the case with the abovementioned file.

John
--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]