---------------------------------
[16] Sven: Becks captain for many years
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"David is one of the world's absolute best football players. Maybe one of the most
famous in the whole world.

"He's a very good guy, on and off the pitch. A very nice guy off the pitch, in his
private life he is doing his job very well.

"Beckham will be my captain for many, many years. He is very proud. He manages his
life and all his tasks in a very impressive way. And he handles the responsibility of
being the England captain very well"

---------------------------------
[15] Sven wants piece of Utd?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"I think, eventually, I could become a sports director in the future.

"Buy Lazio? No, that would not be a very good business proposition.

"The only club I'd buy is United because it is a self-playing piano. It would be very
profitable to buy them."

Sven, if you are reading this, click here:

(link:http://www.shareholdersunited.org/join_su.htm)
http://www.shareholdersunited.org/join_su.htm

---------------------------------
[14] Ruud: Fergie cares
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
About his injury:

"I let them talk but I knew Sir Alex’s visit was just a marvellous human
gesture. It had nothing to do with business.

"Who could tell at that stage if I would ever be an investment for United?

"He was totally sincere and it meant so much to me. That’s the kind of people
you want to play for. I found the same humanity in Bobby Robson during my year under
him. You felt you were dealing with a man who cared about you."

---------------------------------
[13] And he wants to look back with pleasure
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"I have an opportunity now to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world. When my
time in Manchester is over, I want people to say, ‘Van Nistelrooy was a great
player. He added something to the team’."

---------------------------------
[12] Ruud looking forward
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"I have heard so much about the Premiership from Dutch players — about the tempo
of the games, the fanatical crowds, how every match is 100% competitive. Now I want to
experience it for myself. It is a big step, leaving home to work in another country
for the first time, but I am looking forward to it. I am glad the country I am going
to is England. Nearly every Dutchman speaks English and life over there is more
similar to ours than I would find in southern Europe. In Italy and Spain, because of
the weather, they live outside. That is not possible in Holland or Britain. I know I
will be grateful that United have given us a superb apartment."

---------------------------------
[11] Veron would miss Charity Sheild
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
IF (and that's a massive if!)he signs, he will be required to face Ecuador in a World
Cup qualifier just three days afterwards.

---------------------------------
[10] Giggsy: Foreign boss is fine by me
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"The debate over who will replace Sir Alex Ferguson will rage on for the coming season
until an appointment is made. I wouldn't be against the appointment of United's
first-ever foreign manager.

"It was only a few years ago that foreign managers were a rarity in the Premiership,
but Arsenal with Arsene Wenger and Liverpool with Gerard Houllier have certainly
benefited from using them. The new manager would have to have a good knowledge of the
European game because so much of our football is geared towards the Champions League
now.

"I honestly don't have in mind who I'd like to follow him.

"Fortunately that is the board's decision as it is such an important one.

"I don't really think the players should be consulted. To be honest, we wouldn't want
the responsibility.

"I think it's too early to speculate on who will be managing us at the beginning of
the 2002-03 season.

"Some of the names being put forward might have terrible seasons with their teams next
season and suddenly not look a good choice."

---------------------------------
[9] Wenger also crosses his fingers
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
'I have spoken to Patrick and I am completely, totally confident he will be with us at
the start. I believe he will show his commitment to the club and that we will have a
successful season.'

---------------------------------
[8] Dein: Vierra stays
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
'Turn up on August 18 and see if Vieira is wearing the Arsenal shirt. He will be,' he
insisted. 'Otherwise Arsene Wenger, the other members of the Arsenal board and myself
will be wasting our time.'

Our thoughts exactly!

---------------------------------
[7] Barca to check Petit/Overmars deal
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
Barca President Gaspart says: "We paid £32.5m for the two players. It was a joint
price — £21.6m for Overmars and the rest for Petit.

"This was the figure Arsenal requested from the start but, to avoid any doubt, I have
asked accountants PricewaterhouseCoopers to investigate the matter.

"They are a prestigious company and nobody will doubt what they say.
(As a former employee, I couldn't possibly comment!)

"I am sure that all is in order but if there was an anomaly I would indicate so. What
Arsenal have done with the money is none of our business. But we will ask, so there
are no doubts."

---------------------------------
[6] Absolut (ly) bonkers
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
As Clough senior kicks off again, this time at Robbo:

FOOTBALL: CLOUGHIE HAS POP AT ROBBO

BRIAN CLOUGH has launched a shock attack on former Middlesbrough chief Bryan Robson.

The Nottingham Forest legend, who starred for the Teessiders in his playing days,
revealed Robson HAD to leave because his negativity was destroying the club.

"He's been put out of his misery - and it's not before time," said Clough last night.
"His goose was cooked long before the fans booed him at Boro's final game of the
season.

"Robson's general demeanour let him down. He went out with an air of doom and gloom
every match day."As a player he was dominating and energetic, but he was so miserable
in public that any enthusiasm from the supporters was immediately dampened.

"Robson had all the ingredients to be a top manager - but the poor lad just couldn't
fire anyone up when he had to."

(And I suppose bashing them around the head is better?)

---------------------------------
[5] Talk is cheap
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
As sheep Ian Harte gets all giddy:

"Our priority will be to give Manchester United and the other championship contenders
a good run for their money in the Premiership.

"We will be out to push United a lot harder than anyone managed last season, that's
for sure.

---------------------------------
[4] Kenyon gets his excuses in early
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
As reports claim that Veron is coming over on Tuesday with everything sorted by
Thursday, Parsimonous Pete says:

'Deals of this kind are never complete until they are done, with the ink on the paper.

'We still have one or two details to resolve, although we are very optimistic the
transfer will be completed within four days.'

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie: Tabloids eh, Bloody Hell
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"There was a lot of stuff that came out about me wanting to be on the plc board and
wanting to be chairman of the club.

"Everyone at the club knew that was lies and I didn't like to read it. It is absolute
nonsense."

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie: We are family
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"When you work for a club like this it does seem to be your whole family, your life.
It's hard to lose that," he said.

"So to keep a connection with the club, in a way in which you are helpful, is ample
reward for spending 16 years here."

[1] Fergie will stay!
Posted Sunday, July 8, 2001 by tb:
"There have been a lot of discussions between my solicitor, my accountant and the
club.

"The most important thing is to continue the connection

"My role with the club will be in a consultancy capacity"