---------------------------------
[24] Story out of nothing
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
As the press pick up on our story yesterday about the players having their mini-bars
taken out of their hotel rooms - standard proceedure these days.

A United spokesperson said: "Common sense would suggest that players have to be in
prime fitness for a pre-season tour and we are treating these friendlies as very
serious games. They would not be drinking before important matches during the season
so it's exactly the same in this instance."

---------------------------------
[23] Another song
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ken

(To the tune of 'You'll never w**k al*ne')

Verón Verón
He tore the scousers apart
And You'll never win four, in a row
You'll NEVER win FOUR in a row.

---------------------------------
[22] Massive delusions
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Simon Colosimo:

"I've joined a Premiership club in everything but name'

(and status)

"My international team-mate Danny Tiatto told me what a big club  Manchester City is"

(what no massive?)

"But it wasn't  until I was shown around the ground and the training centre that I
realised just how big the club is. My ambition is to play in the English Premiership
and I am  convinced that I will achieve that target with City. Apart from having a
career in England, my other main ambition is to  represent Australia in the World Cup
finals and playing for a club  with such a high profile as City will boost my chances."

cos city are a, er, big club!

---------------------------------
[21] Veron a state of madness
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'In the 72 hour period following confirmation of the Argentine's
signing last Thursday, Veron shirts - which will feature the number
four when the midfielder dons them in the Premiership - out-stripped
David Beckham's as the most popular. Around 400 United shirts were sold over the
weekend at the club's Old  Trafford Megastore and the vast majority wanted the new
boy's name on  the back.

Veron's signing has proved a massive marketing boost for the Reds'  new Centenary away
kit which will be launched at midnight on July  19/20 at the Megastore. It is the
biggest ever pre-launch demand the club have had for an  away kit.

Most of the pre-orders for the reversible white and gold strip have
requested Veron's name on the reverse.'

---------------------------------
[20] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Juan Sebastian and Ruud will play against Celtic, all being well.
That's my plan. They will get bits of matches together while we are in the Far  East,
of course, but Ryan's match will be the first game in which  I'll fit in all my key
players. It will be the match when I start to  try and blend things together. I will
start to work on the system then. I have an idea of what I  want and it won't change
essentially. We'll always play with a lot of  width and good possession.

With players like Veron, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and David Beckham  you will get
possession. Then we have to work at the penetration and
making chances. Against Celtic I will be beginning to put my plans into action in
readiness for the start of the season."

---------------------------------
[19] Kenyon on new Becks deal
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"David is our No1 priority. Why would he want to be anywhere else? Our squad now is
pretty awesome.We're confident that the signing of Ruud and Sebastian shows David we
want to continue being successful. And no-one wants to be part of a winning formula
more than David.

So our commitment now is to try to get a deal done by the start of next season. We're
very positive and confident. We have had two meetings so far. The first to set the
parameters for a new deal, the second the start of the financial discussions. It would
be nice to put it to bed by the start of the season."

---------------------------------
[18] Wenger tries a bit of psychology
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
And fails

"At the moment Manchester United are in a position where if they do not win the league
it is a disaster. If they do not get to the European Cup Final it will be a disaster
again. So it makes it very tough for whoever takes over from Sir Alex".

---------------------------------
[17] If you want a laugh
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Buy the SUN today (good for a laugh, without intention) and see a gallery of home made
drawings of Becks done by their readers for a competition.

Close your eyes, draw on a piece of paper in a pitch black room and you'll have
something as good as nearly all the entrants shown.

---------------------------------
[16] Worrying thought of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Just what the hell was that on the top of Willie Morgan's head - a haircut that Bobby
Charlton would be proud of. And the Elvis picture behind him...hmmm.

---------------------------------
[15] Andy Cole relieved?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Lee

I take it Andy Cole is a relieved man today, now that Simon Colosimo had signed for
city.  After Andy's challenge a couple of years ago, Simon threatened to get all
litigious if the injury prevented his career from progressing with a move to a big
club in Europe.  Well, as we all know, they don't come much bigger than city do they.
Sleep well Andy.

---------------------------------
[14] Video interview with Robbo
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Video interview with Bryan Robson (Part 1)

click the link below:

(link:http://www.eplsoccer.com/lma/news/interview/710/EXCLUSIVE+INTERVIEW+WITH+BRYAN+ROBSON)
 http://www.eplsoccer.com/lma/news/interview/710/EXCLUSIVE+INTERVIEW+WITH+BRYAN+ROBSON

---------------------------------
[13] Fergie on Giggs testimonial
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Some people say that players don't deserve testimonials any more, but I think Ryan
does. It is the first benefit for one of our home-grown players, who came through in
that new era in the early to mid-90s. In many ways he reflects my time at the club. He
has been a terrific servant to United and has great character. I'm glad I will be able
to plan to play Veron and van Nistelrooy in England together for the first time in
Ryan's match because he deserves a good crowd."

Three charities will get money from the game - but how much?

---------------------------------
[12] British team at the Olympics?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'The Football Association and the British Olympic Association are set for more
discussions about entering a British football team in the Olympic Games.

BOA chief executive Simon Clegg has revealed he and FA counterpart Adam Crozier have
discussed the matter.

Further discussions are set to take place following an assurance from Fifa president
Sepp Blatter that individual countries would not suffer as a result of teaming up
under one flag in Athens in 2004.

The Football Associations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have always
resisted moves to field a British side, fearing the interests of their countries would
be hit.

But Blatter has denied that their individual rights would not be looked after if they
teamed up in future Olympics.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The associations have always resisted joining forces, for
fear of losing their individuality and strong political position within Fifa.

"The British football leaders were a little bit concerned that, fielding an Olympic
team under the denomination of Great Britain, they could lose their privileges they
had in Fifa.

"They felt someone could say 'you are together, so why should you come as four
associations, four votes?' But definitely this is not linked."

Clegg said: "I'm very pleased to hear him again state the issues of the home nations
and their participation in the Olympic Games are not linked.

"He stated that when he was secretary general and Joao Havelange was president at that
time - and it's great he has restated their position on that."

Clegg revealed that a Great Britain women's team could be entered in the Athens Games.

He said: "It (Blatter's words) links nicely with the discussions we've had with the FA
with the possibility of maybe entering a women's team in the Games in 2004.

"Now the international federation have made their position clear and it doesn't
threaten individual membership of Fifa, there's no reason why another meeting
shouldn't take place in the future."

---------------------------------
[11] Happy birthday to you
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Jaap Stam is 29 today.

---------------------------------
[10] Scousers know they are not good enough?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Michael Owen:

 "I think every team has to strengthen in two or three places. It's dangerous to buy a
lot of players because you need the squad to know each other, but just to buy two
players every year livens things up.

I don't think we need to go and buy five or six world-class players. Like Manchester
United, we've got team spirit and lads who have come through the youth system and into
the first team. We have always had that base of home-grown players, very good players,
and when you add to that it doesn't cause a problem."

---------------------------------
[9] We don't believe you
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Gilles Grimandi:

"Patrick Vieira arrived back at training and it was interesting to see him back after
all the hype of the summer. He seemed very calm and content when he arrived at the
training centre and was acting perfectly normally - as if he didn't have a worry about
anything in his mind. There is no problem in the Arsenal group with Patrick,
everything was the same. We were obviously aware that there's a lot of interest but it
was just business as usual for the team. No-one has a problem with him and we were all
pleased to see him."

---------------------------------
[8] city go global
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Uruguay and Costa Rica drew 1-1 in the Copa America with Paulo Wanchope scoring for
Costa Rica. massive!

---------------------------------
[7] Lawrenson on United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Number one, they've got the best players in Britain. Number two,  they will go after
the best manager and I think that will be Martin  O'Neill. I would be very surprised
if United haven't approached him
in some way already.  As a man-manager he is fantastic and he has done such a good job
at  Celtic already. I think he understands what it means to manage at  Manchester
United and he's got the kind of enthusiasm and dedication  to take a job like that on.
 I know Celtic have said they would offer him shares to stay, but  imagine if you
turned down a job like that. You'd be wondering about  it for the rest of your life."

---------------------------------
[6] More from Lawrenson
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Liverpool need one or two at the back, a long-term replacement for Gary McAllister
and a right-sided midfielder. They've  tried Gerrard, Barmby and Smicer in there and
no-one's really made  the position his own yet.  They're on the right track and Gerard
Houllier has done a great job,  but now they've got to be more consistent. They've got
to be able to  dominate in attack from the start of a game like United can and like
we used to. They lost nine games last season and until they stopped  playing
altogether, United only lost three. That's a heck of lot to  catch up even when you're
doing the double over someone."

---------------------------------
[5] Ex-Scouser tips United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mark Lawrenson:

"You can never say there's absolutely no chance of anyone else  winning it, but I
honestly can't see it happening for Liverpool,  Arsenal or anyone else this season.
Manchester  United won it by Christmas last season - and that was playing at half-
pace. Since then they've got Van Nistelrooy and Veron and they'll  want to win
everything because it's Fergie's final season.  Liverpool have got a great side coming
through and you have to say  they'll be a threat in the future. But this season? I
don't think  so."

---------------------------------
[4] Fergie in the Guardian
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Surely that's a spelling mistake at the end of the first paragraph!!
The suits won't like that! In fact some of the writing is appalling. Check out the
last sentence  in the second paragraph. Where's me CV?

'United's crown is safe from the Guardian

Dan Rookwood
Monday July 16, 2001

The season is over before it's begun. Again. United are going to romp  it. Again. This
summer, practically the entire senior squad bar David  Beckham have signed extended
contracts which will keep them out of  the clutches of Europe's debt-ridden giants for
at least another  trophy-winning season. And they've added a couple of top players to
the wage bill to boot. What's the betting they've run out of Vs  already at the
Smegma-store?

It's become almost boring, even for United fans; surely they must  want some domestic
competition. But every summer, the chasing pack  scrabble around for a few half-decent
players and every summer United  click they're fingers and the stars come running.

"We had a target of four, excluding van Nistelrooy," said Ferguson in  an interview
with ManUtd.com today. "We looked at where we could get  a player to improve us. Van
Nistelrooy, as an emerging player, is  going to do that, I'm sure. He was one." Was
the Dutchman part of the  target of four or not? Whatever, they still got him.

"Veron was another, and we got him. We'd have liked another top  defender but we
didn't get him. But we're happy with what we have."

And well they might be. Because Arsenal's Sol Campbell coup aside,  this close season
has been decidedly quiet for the chasing pack.  Incidentally, have you noticed how
they're called the chasing pack,  even before a ball has been kicked in competition?

United's only competition these days - both on the pitch and in the  transfer market -
is to be found in foreign parts where even  Ferguson's boys have to bow in the
presence of Europe's kings.

Ferguson hinted that he had inquired after the availability of both  Zidane and
Rivaldo. "I don't think there was ever a possibility of  bringing Zidane over here. I
think his wife prefers to be in that  part of the world." Though size matters, not
even United can buy in  sunshine. And Rivaldo? "There's never been an occasion when
Barcelona  have been prepared to sell."

But United play to the rules, as Sir Alex alluded in a  sideswipe: "The Zidane
transfer? We thought the Figo one was  incredible," he said. "But this has gone up
another £10m. Real Madrid  are one of those sides who have the side everyone wants
because there  doesn't seem to be such a thing as debt there."

United, in contrast, remain the richest club in the world. And having  chained their
biggest stars to long-term contracts, the Reals of this  world will have to pay a
Ferguson's ransom to prize any of his assets  away. But many of United's present gems
have come from refining their  own raw material. And as Ferguson ominously pointed
out, there is a  rich Old Trafford seam still to be plundered.

"We've got some terrific prospects at Old Trafford. Darren Fletcher,  who we hope will
get over his broken leg, is good. Michael Stewart  and Luke Chadwick are doing very
well. John O'Shea's doing well too.
There's a young left-back called Paul Tierney who is doing well, as  is Danny Pugh.
But there's a young boy who's started now, he's 16,  called Kieran Richardson. He's
going to be a fantastic player."

Yes, yes - they're all doing very well. Depressing isn't it. How long  can the pack
sustain their chase before giving up altogether?'

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie special appeal
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
If you haven't sent us something in already, please send it in as we want to get as
many Reds contributing as possible.

We're now in the final days approaching the deadline for our Fergie special. We have
truly had a great response with memories - be it personal meetings, magic games, etc
but we want MORE! So please keep them coming in. The final deadline has now been
confirmed as Thursday July 19th so get writing - anything and everything is
appreciated!

This is a massive appeal - feel free to spread the word via forums, to mates, etc -
the more help/contributions we get the better to make the following as good as we can
make it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Red News is planning a Fergie special edition for next season - planned long before
recent events (which are hopefully to be sorted in the coming weeks) - this special is
to commemorate his momentous time at Old Trafford and mark his last season at Old
Trafford as manager (but not at the club!). We want this to be THE definitive accolade
to Fergie, so need your help with as many ideas/articles/short memories from 1986-2002
that you can provide to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Below are just a few of the things we're after - but let us know anything you'd like
to see in the Fergie special.

N.B. The deadline for ALL contributions is July 19th 2001.

We're looking for

...any special Fergie quotes

...any special photos you may have of Fergie (that you took?) during his time at
United. All will be returned after use.

...any unique memories you have of meeting him. Special recollections/comments, the
diverse and different the better!

...the big challenge is listing magic fergie 'moments'. Basically we're looking for
the great (and not so great?!) games under fergie over all those years - but not just
the biggies (nou camp, chelsea 4-0, etc) but ones that you think were part of the
fergie jigsaw that grew with each year (1-5 city, his first game at Oxford, etc, etc).
We're looking for one paragraph for each game - if you recall a game which you think
was pivital in the development of Fergie, with an off-beat memory or short description
of the game events, your own comment, view, send them in!

...We're also looking for anyone who may know an Aberdeen fan during the time Fergie
was there who would be able to write something of that era.

...feel free to choose your magic Fergie moments (not games this time, but off field
memories - like psyching out keegan). Anything and everything sought - again one
paragraph for each, feel free to do as many as you like!

...Other highlights - short one words, like best and worst moments under fergie

...your thoughts on the fergie era, etc...for a letters page

...quirky/funny stories & opinions on fergie

And lastly any suggestions of dramatic events that we wouldn't want to forget that
Utd/fergie have experienced since '86. Even looking back these past few days at all my
scrapbooks, etc, it's mad what I'd forgotten - so we are searching for a  listing of
stuff you can recall off the top of your head, like the MEN poll over Ince, getting
the OBE, any memory at all really.

...anyone who would like to advertise in this special please contact us.

Many thanks for anything you can provide - we really want this Fergie special to be,
well, bloody special. So anything and everything is welcome - keep it coming and
spread the word. We've already had a great response - thanks ever so much.

You can contact us by e.mail at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

or post stuff to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG
Deadline is this July 19th 2001!
Many, many thanks!

---------------------------------
[2] Catatonia - the real story?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Forget what stories you've heard about the reasons Cerys and co delayed their tour of
England next week for September. We can reveal that as Boylie is going on holiday next
week how could they let their No.1 fan miss the whole event.

And good to see so many songs being thought up about Veron and Ruud. Boylie's
favourite for Ruud is the simple one to the tune of Brown Girl in the Rain (Ruud Van
Nistelrooy, tra la la la) but how about this one doing the rounds on some of the Utd
lists...

tune of my old man's a dustman

"Van the man's a Dutchman, he scores a lot of goals,
and when he isn't playing, up pops Paul Scholes"

---------------------------------
[1] Short review of Seven Days that shook United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, July 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Well, last night's programme on Channel 4 wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, nor
was it as good as it could have been.

You have to wonder who it was aimed - it seemed to go for the ABU vote but the talking
heads had such a pro United slant that they made the programme 'safe' for United fans
to watch. The voice over grated as the show told us nothing really that we didn't
already know - but we were saved by the opinions of the talking heads, most notably
record boss Tony Wilson who should have been given the full hour himself.

Opinions from him like 'f*ck those' who weren't at Selhurst Park to see a home crowd
full of 'Cockney wankers' yet pass judgement on Eric was just one highlight, and of
course the ever symbolic Harry Gregg once again spoke passionately about his and our
club.

Some trite comments from the voice over grated - like saying that these events Utd
would sooner forget. I disagree for they made us what we are now and to say anyone
would rather forget the Munich tradegy is just plain crap.

A constant seemed to be the influence Our Martin seemed to play in some of the
perceived 'cock-upd', from telling Tommy Doc he would be alright about his affair with
Mary Brown to the infamous £12m sell out to Michael Knighton.

All in all we learnt very little - but Andy Walsh and Wilson kept things on track and
at least ABUs would have been wound up by their and other Reds' presence, rather than
an ABU whitewash with the likes of Schindler talking centre stage to slag us off as it
could have been.

But when will we ever get to see a real and honest appraisal of United that does spill
the beans yet gives our history the sympathy it deserves?

---------------------------------
[24] ABU programming?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
We shall see. Tonight, Channel 4, 9pm. Football Stories

Seven Days that shook United

The Obserever says it is 'the best yet' (of the series) but we shall have to wait and
judge. They've chosen seven major events (from Michael Knighton to Eric's kung fu) but
looking at a preview of the list of interviewees featured (Piers Morgan for example)
and we think this is more to gain ABU ratings than tell us something that Utd fans
didn't already know. But let's watch and find out...

---------------------------------
[23] Arse to become PLC?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Arsenal has revealed plans to split into two companies to finance its new
60,000-seater stadium. If the operation is a success, the club will consider a full
stock market launch later in the year. The Gunners will ask their shareholders to
approve the set up of a separate company - Arsenal Holdings PLC - to deal with the
£100 million Ashburton Grove project.

Arsenal believes the flotation will give them the financial muscle to compete with
Manchester United for costly signings. But one analyst told Ananova that the club's
estimated flotation value of £400 million is wide of the mark.

He said: "This figure strikes me as way too optimistic, especially when you think that
Manchester United is worth £393 million. It seems as if Arsenal, rather cynically, is
trying to split its property interests from its football interests, probably because
the property portfolio is going to be the more stable of the two."

A club spokesman said: "The board believes it is in the best interests of the
shareholders to separate the activities of the football club and the stadium
development."

---------------------------------
[22] Commonwealth games tickets - cheap as anything
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to Mark C for this

'Games tickets to cost from £5 Email this to a Friend

  GET SET for the affordable Commonwealth Games - with tickets for the 2002 event
starting from as little as a fiver. Organisers have pledged that half the tickets on
sale for the 10-day spectacular will cost £10 or less - and some of the events will be
completely free.

The most expensive ticket will be £195 for the opening ceremony with the cheapest for
that event costing £25. Details of how the public can obtain the 750,000 tickets were
revealed today.

The cheapest ticket for the Games is £5 and there are 151,000 of them available at
that price. The marathon, walks, road cycling, mountain bike riding, triathlon and
shooting will be free. Organisers say they have consulted various sporting bodies to
make sure the prices are at the right level.'

Well worth it.

---------------------------------
[21] Keeper says no to United
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
Benfica keeper Robert Enke:

"It's true, Manchester was interested in me, but I turned them down. I want to
concentrate on the coming season because I think this team can achieve success".

---------------------------------
[20] 400 singers wanted
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
400 Singers wanted for West2 (Stretty2 Singing End)

We can have 400 extra singers in West2 this season and if you are a singer and a Club
Member you can be one of them.

The Vocal Fans Campaign (VFC) formerly the TTC has won agreement from the club to fill
all the 400 daytickets in West2 with singers, IF we can find enough of them! If we
can't then any real hope of rebuilding the buzz in the Stretty is in a mess. So if you
are a club member who is a singer or have mates who are GET IN CONTACT with the VFC or
tell your mates.

All you have to do is register yourself with the VFC by sending your details with us,
no membership fee, your only commitment is to be a singer willing to get behind the
shirts. We then register you with the club as a singer and you can then make
applications for tickets for West2 marking your application 'VFC singer'. You still
have to get through the ballot BUT when successful you will be with the buzz in
Stretty2.

The club agreed to do it this way so we have some control to make sure you are all
real singers since you know you are working with like minded fans directly and not the
club and you are prepared to give us your contact details.

To join the VFC you can get an application forms from the notice boards in West2,
download from www.m-u-f-c.co.uk/users/tsj/vfc Or just send your name, address
membership number and contact details to GezM, 51 Grangeway, Handforth, Cheshire SK9
3HY. Include email and mobile number as email or text is our easiest way  to contact
you apart from the West2 notice boards. Tell us if you are a club member or if you
have a ST or LMTB  and if so where you sit in West 2 or elsewhere in the ground. The
only qualification to join the VFC is to sing up for the team when you come to support
United, nothing more. Tell us if you want to help the campaign, are a passionate
singer, always join in or usually join in when others around you sing.

GezM

[19] Massive signing
Posted Monday, July 16, 2001 by bar-knee:
City have completed the signing of Aussie Simon Colosimo.