On 3/21/2012 5:32 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>> OK. What do you propose?
>
> I propose to incorporate OpenSC as a French association under the loi
> 1901 law, under a general agreement. There are millions of associations
> in France and the government provides a generic paper for incorporation.
> I propose to use this paper without modification.

Before we incorporate, I have a few questions and comments:

  What other open source projects have uses this French loi law?
  Has this helped or hindered their project?

What appears to have happened over the last few months is that Martin
has started to setup a complicated code review system using Git, GitHub,
Gerrit and Jenkins then has not had the time (or lost interest)
to complete the process. At the same time as a number of large changes
have been submitted and are now stalled.

I am assuming that all these systems are running on Martin's computers
somewhere in Estonia and the Web site is on the ISP: Hetzner Online AG
in Germany.

Martin, we have not heard from you on what is going on, and if you can
continue to support the infrastructure and effort needed for this project
and if not, how do we transfer the administrative burden from you to
someone who can handle it.

I see Ludvoic is trying to do the best he can with the access and the
understanding he has of Gerrit. Peter has been of great help with Git
and Gerrit.

Martin, we need to hear from you...

> In short:
>
> * All members are equal.
> * Everyone can join the association, without filter.
> * The executive board and president is elected every year.
> * Recognized developers have an all-time right to join the board.
> * We don't need any budget or funding as this is free software.
> * I can handle the accounting as this is a bureaucratic issue.
> * All information is public and available for download, including
> accounting.
>
> Very important : the executive board would agree to let OpenSC
> developers organize themselves according to an organization statement.
>
> The organisation statement should be one page, explaining the
> development processes, close to Viktor proposal with the flexibility
> proposed by Alon. i.e. :
>
> * OpenSC has a stable GIT branch which is the release, an unstable
> branch called staging.
> * All patches are discussed and committed fast to staging. All
> recognized developers can make commits, without any obligation to join
> the association, just as in old times.
> * Packages on the build farm are released daily to help detecting and
> fixing bugs. The quality process comes from flexibility, the fast
> release of versions and bug detection.
> * We should have date releases, i.e. every two months. The dates are
> known in advance, so everyone gets organized for the release.
>
> In short, we want to give the power back to developers and contributors.
>
>>> Martin and Ludovic, please confirm on the mailing list each of
>> these:
>>> A. OpenSC is a self driven-community with several core-developers,
>> no
>>> leader/owner.
>>> B. Martin and Ludovic are core developers, not owners of the
>> project.
>>> OpenSC is owned by the community.
>
>> Note that I do not administer any of the OpenSC resources/servers. So
>> I can't do much.
>
> I think there is a misunderstanding in the way OpenSC is organized. I
> begin to think that Martin considers himself as an owner, not an
> administrator.
>
> So I am asking again to you Martin and Ludovic: 1) do you agree the
> community to be the owner of OpenSC and 2) do you accept to serve the
> community.
>
> Unless you agree that by writing on the mailing list, we are going to
> incorporate an association.
>
>> And what if core developers to not want to join your association? :-)
>
> As written previously, to make commit to GIT there will be no obligation
> to be part of the association. Everyone is free to contribute to GIT and
> submit patches and we'll commit them with great pleasure.
>
> Kind regards,

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue