Eric Boutilier wrote:

> As Alan Coopersmith just alluded to, it's not up to the OGB to
> mandate a vote. (Nor is it up to Sun of course); and among those
> who do have the power -- Community Groups and their Contributors
> -- there isn't a collective push to put it to a vote.

That's a ludicrous position.  If the OGB doesn't mandate what will and
will not be voted on, who will?  or are you suggesting that we need a
vote to decide what to vote on?  Oh wait, that probably requires a vote
to see if we need to decide that we need a vote on which things to vote
on...

> Thus, concedingly, +1 from me too, which I'm declaring simply
> because I'd like to be "on record" as among those who dissented
> -- albeit from what appears to be a very large majority view.

The whole point of any voting mechanism is to gauge the opinion of the
electorate.  Without that you get into the farcical position we see so
often in the OpenSolaris 'community', where multiple small subsets of
the 'community' all simultaneously claim to speak for the majority, with
no evidence to support their claim.

We have democratic mechanisms, we should damn well use them.

--
Alan Burlison