On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:17:10PM +0000, Alan Burlison wrote:

> When it is probably too late.  Where have you all been for the last N
> months?

Alan,

I've been making clear that I believe this is a problem ever since the
original Indiana Project proposal[0].  The conclusion from this was
that the project would proceed with the goal of creating a
distribution, which is not now and has never been controversial.  The
project proceeded based on the expectation that this issue would be
revisited at a later time if desired.  I took Glynn's final
response[1] in that thread to be acceptance of that general strategy.
Perhaps I was mistaken or perhaps the project team was just being
passive-aggressive.  But to say that we've been ignorant of the
problem is inaccurate; in reality we've consistently expressed
concerns and the project team, with the winds of Sun's blessing and
powers under trademark law filling their sails, have simply
disregarded them.

Because we have no desire or authority to prevent anyone from doing
whatever work they like, there has not been anything for OGB members
to do other than express their individual reservations and offer
guidance about how the project team might in the future choose to
pursue its goals successfully within the OpenSolaris framework.  If
the project team were content to be known as Indiana or some other
name that does not imply the community's exclusive endorsement without
our consent, the entire controversy would evaporate very quickly.

[0] http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/ogb-discuss/2007-May/001622.html
    http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/ogb-discuss/2007-May/001740.html

[1] http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/ogb-discuss/2007-May/001712.html

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
FishWorks                       "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"