On 11/08/2009, at 7:27 PM, Anon Y Mous wrote:

Sun currently has big customers like Joyent.com already using SXCE in production with massive success. I have only heard of one person ever using OpenSolaris Indiana 2008.05 in production, and that was Don McAskill of smugmug.com:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2008/10/10/success-with-opensolaris-zfs-mysql-in-production/

and he only uses it on one of his less important servers as a "backup" kind of thing. He hasn't gone full tilt and replaced all his Linux servers with Indiana 2008.05

I honestly made attempts at using both 2008.05 and 2008.11 as minimal headless server setups in production, but stripping all the desktop features out of the OS was such a pain. IPS was also sooooooo slow and so unreliable (the Sun IPS servers would become inaccessible and I couldn't deploy new zones). Basically, it was a nightmare. Compare this to SXCE and Solaris 10 which are probably the greatest server operating systems ever to exist in the history of time and space.

I agree that minimalizing the system is much harder than it should be - essentially this is waiting for some of the pre-requisites in IPS to land before we start implementing a complete package renaming and refactoring. Very much hoping this can land in time for 2010.02. There was an issue with the IPS repos over the course of a holiday weekend in the US. Mirroring technology is ready, so community members could volunteer to run an IPS mirror. It's a bug that creating a zone requires an active network connection, we hope to solve that real soon.

I talked to some people who worked at 3 letter named government agencies a while ago and they absolutely raved about Solaris Express and hated Indiana. Same response from some of the Oracle on Solaris DBA's I talked to- love for SXCE, but they didn't like Indiana. Do you want all these Oracle DBA's and government agencies to ultimately move off of Solaris onto another OS?

Absolutely not - we want them to provide feedback instead. We're always listening ;)

Now I for one, love things like Indiana and Nexenta because I come from a Linux background and I'm used to the GNU tool chain. But I don't see why we can't have both Indiana and Solaris Express because Indiana and SXCE are the really the same thing, just in different wrapping paper.

True, but you're essentially providing a choice for developers working on OpenSolaris, and causing you to test on 2 entirely separate platforms. There's a cost in that - confusion of message/direction/ strategy (and we've been down that path before), and inability to keep both platforms stable.

Red Hat can manage to keep both Fedora and RHEL going at the same time, so why can't we have SXCE and Indiana at the same time?

Yes, but in this case they are exactly the *same* thing - they use the same package management infrastructure and same binary packages. You cannot say the same for SXCE and OpenSolaris.

Glynn