hi Red1,

Agree, the 'Transformasi' is all about knowledge-based economy, and
higher income... this can only come from innovation.

How do you get 'innovators', well you can hope/bet on some geniuses
will pop up.... or more likely, improve the nurture the skills, create
a bigger pool of people with those skills (a qualitative and
quantitative approach) and the chances of getting some innovators is
much better.

But just 'training', courses and exams are not good enough! That's
what's been going on, and you have all those >10 A's students that
aren't productive in a real job! The earlier discussion touched upon a
good point - APPRENTICESHIP.

What is needed is a FLOSS ECOSYSTEM, provide an environment for
hands-on practical learning, provide nurturing and sharing of passion
with/by Mentors (or experianced techies), kick-start some projects to
work on, add some funding and of course ppl with passion. I believe
that all these 'pieces'  are lying round out there... 'we'(all FLOSS
community) have to sit down and stitch it together, put in some plans,
structures and commitment and make it work. And I'm sure we have
enough ideas out there, and we gotta stop re-inventing wheels and work
together. Building the ECOSYSTEM is important, because without that,
it'll just be another one-off project, it cannot be sustainable.

Then hopefully, out of that ecosystem, maybe we can produce another FB
or equivalent. Not Nobel prize I don't think, for that we need pretty
good Academic Insttuitions, and besides our academics has gotta up
their publication of academic papers first!

Hey Red1, I see you got your apprenticeship program started, that is good....
As for the rest, if any of you would like to get together for a
teh-tarik and discuss how we can get the ecosystem going, I'm game. (I
remember Haris(?) mentioned something like this?)...

--
#-------
regds,

Boh Heong, Yap