True but it's not always rent-seeking.

In other professions it's about liability minimisation.

Lawyer: "So who did you get to design this bridge that collapsed?"
CEO: "He seemed like a really good designer. He fitted in well with our team."
Lawyer: "But was he a professional engineer?"
CEO: "No but look at how fast he created designs and how good they look. All of
our other designers said they loved his work. None of his other bridges have
fallen down yet."
Lawyer: "But did you really do all that you could to have avoided this
disaster?"
Lawyer: "Let's turn to why you decided not to hire a professional engineer. Why
was that?"
CEO: "We don't see professional certification as important. People do great
work without it."
etc etc.

I haven't been part of the ACS for a very, very long time but I see the
argument for such a body. The main problem is that it has no teeth. Without
government regulation that forces membership of such a body, and the chance for
it to eject people that don't do the right thing, it's hard to see the point.

Our industry has a reputation of being full of cowboys and has a reputation for
spectacular project failures. As such, it won't ever be considered
"professional".

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax
SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com