PJ,
If by "the conclusion I come to is that people will support mass
transit, if someone else pays for it" you mean a group of you and your
friends will nod knowingly and say "Yes, we should have more public
transit...Why I remember when..."  The experience of most public
transit systems is even if you made it free, most people would not use
it.  1) It doesn't go where I want.  2) It doesn't go when I want. &
3) I'd have to ride with some undesirable people.  Public
demand/acceptance of transit is the problem.  No demand, no riders!
Regards,  Bob S.