Bob,

That quoted argument is so faulty in its conclusion as to be laughable.  The
7,700 "poor riders" (lack of a car being the factor defining the riders'
impoverishment)do not necessarily number the entire ridership of the light
rail, yet 7,700 is the number of extra vehicles that the author suggests
would hit the road if the light rail service ceased.  That is clearly wrong.
And what of the car owners who choose not to commute by car, because of
either the running costs or a lack of desire to drive in peak traffic, among
many reasons?  Shouldn't they be subsidised for their extra costs, and that
figure added to the equation?  If not , why not?

IOW the St Louis Federal Reserve is attempting to promote a point of view by
the use of deception.  It's rubbish.

Regards, Anthony

<http://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/regional/04/07/light_rail.pdf>