On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 20:18:57 -0600
"Bob Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It doesn't work for a reason.  The folks from the Federal Reserve are
> just trying to point out the absurdity of it all.

Bob, it works very well here but then the rules are a bit different. :-)
cars in plenty are here, low-cost airlines are here in huge numbers but
the railways is still thriving...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Railways

> >> PJ, it's the public's choice NOT to support mass transit.
> >> Always has been.  Taxes never killed it, cars and suburbia did.

we don't really have suburbs in the sense you have but a lot of people
do commute from nearby towns to work in the cities and the phenomenon
you describe (cars/suburbia) has actually helped the railways. in the
last five years alone, in my own city chennai (madras), the list of
companies that have set up factories is long: Hyundai, Ford,
Mitsubishi, BMW, Mahindra & Mahindra. and very cheap consumer loans are
available so at least for the middle classes affordability is not an
issue.

the problem is, the roads are not built for heavy-duty four-wheeled
traffic. i live inside the city and my workplace is about 11km from my
home. i took to riding my motorcycle to work in 2003 and finding it too
stressful, recently, about a month back, switched to the mass rapid
transit system. and glad i did. for a princely sum of 90 INR a month
(about 2 US$) i can take the trains any time of the day, any number of
times i want. and my monthly petrol bill has come down by more than 90%
(i see lenses on the horizon). and i get to walk 20 minutes a day :-).
goodness all round.

just a POV from this corner of the world...

regards, subash