Hardware is set in stone, firmware may still be in flux right up to the day they start to ship. I used to work for a company where we joked about coding on the loading dock. The sample cameras floating around out there may be release hardware with prerelease firmware.
Joseph McAllister wrote:
I would think the camera has already gone to production, perhaps as much as a month ago. IIRC, the Pentax announcement stated that the camera would be available in around mid-June. If that's true, I would images that stores worldwide would be getting a limited and pre-ordered stock in the next two weeks. It's doubtful they would crank up an assembly line on the 10th of June, start shipping product on the 11th, for arrival on the 14th to sell on the 15th.

Cases of K7s are most likely on their way to major distributors worldwide right now. They will in turn ship orders to the stores that still carry Pentax DSLRs. The first cameras to arrive at the stores are the pre-paid, pre-ordered bodies and kits, along with one of more for stock and display. At that point, the stores can order more for stock or replacement for purchases from their distributors, local, national, or regional.