On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:56:15PM -0400, JC OConnell scripsit:
> canon did a full frame 50mm f1.0 that was with the FF registration. If
> pentax was to do a 30mm DA lens it would still have the same ole
> 45.5mm FF registration making it a retrofocus.  It would not be easy
> to do as canon's 50mm F1.0 was.

The FA 31, and the DA 35 Ltds. are both retrofocus designs, and both
seem to get good reviews.

So, for that matter, is the 15mm DA Ltd., about which initial
indications are highly positive.

I don't think needing to use retrofocus would be a reason not to do it.

Price, probable market, and optical tradeoffs due to depth of field,
sure, but Pentax doesn't seem to have much trouble with retrofocus.

I will note that if Pentax/Hoya have decided to stick with an APS-C/MF
progression, the APS-C lens line "needs" a weather resistant normal prime
lens, to go with those new WR kit lenses and the DA* lenses.

-- Graydon